What to Consider if you Sustained a Person Injury

What to Consider if you Sustained a Person Injury

A personal injury accident can result from a dog bite, a boating accident, a slip and fall, a mishandled knife or firearm or an improperly marked open sewer cover, among many others.  In Florida, to win a personal injury claim, you must prove that there was negligence involved on the part of the defendant and that you suffered an injury.  The defendant must have had a duty not to injure you but failed in that duty, that their failure is directly related to your injuries and that you suffered damages as a result.  It is important to note that there is an exception to personal injury laws in Jacksonville and other cities in the state when it comes to automobile accidents.  It’s a no-fault state, meaning that each person’s auto insurance will pay for injuries and damages that resulted from the accident, no matter whose fault it is.

Compensation received from a successful personal injury lawsuit covers numerous expenses related to the incident.  Compensation includes present or future estimated medical costs, lost wages, including time lost from going to appointments and therapy. It also covers permanent damage or disability and property damage caused by the accident.  As well as the cost of hiring additional help around the house, emotional distress such as depression or anxiety, loss of consortium and any other costs directly related to the incident.

Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney is your best course of action.  Some things you should do following the accident is to write down everything you can remember about how the injury occurred, get contact information from any witnesses, report the incident to the proper authorities, take pictures of the area and the injury, and contact an attorney.

Finnell, McGuinness, Nezami & Andux PA serves clients in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Green Cove Springs, Ponte Vedra, Duval County, St. Johns County, Clay County, Nassau County, Flagler County and the entire Northeast Florida area.

Share Post