Achieving Permanent Residency in the United States

Achieving Permanent Residency in the United States

There are several types of immigration petitions that may be submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), they include marriage-based/fiancé immigration, employment-based immigration, and family-based immigration, as well as a few others.

The USCIS website has a lot of useful information to assist in submitting a marriage-based immigration petition in Jacksonville, FL.  If a foreign national marries a US citizen, they can obtain permanent residence in the US.  If the foreign national is in the US, this process is known as adjustment of status, and if they are outside the US borders, the process is known as Consular Processing and takes place at the U.S. Consulate in their home country.  To apply for the former, the non-US citizen must prove that they entered the country legally, with limited exceptions.

Family-based immigration falls into two categories; the sponsor is a US citizen, or the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident and their relationship to the relative they sponsor.   A citizen can put in a petition to sponsor their spouse or fiancée, parent, unmarried underage child, adult child not married, adult child married and their siblings.  A lawful resident may petition a spouse, underage child not married and adult child not married.

The L-1 visa, which falls under employment-based immigration, allows multinational executives and workers with specialized knowledge of foreign corporations to work for US subsidiaries and their affiliates.  E-2 investor visa is given to citizens of countries with which the US maintains an appropriate treaty of commerce and navigation, and they intend to carry on substantial trade with the US, develop and direct operations or are actively in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.  The H-1B specialty occupation visa is the most popular type of work visa which requires a job offer from a US company with an offer to work in a specialty occupation.  O-1 visa requires the petitioner to establish that the foreign national is prominent in their field of endeavor, that they achieved a high level of skill and recognition which gives them distinction in their field.
Finnell, McGuinness, Nezami & Andux PA serves clients in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Green Cove Springs, Ponte Vedra, Duval County, St. Johns County, Clay County, Nassau County, Flagler County and the entire Northeast Florida area.

Share Post